Narodowe Centrum Nauki

piątek, 14 maja 2010

In Person: Studying the Implications of New Medical Technologies

To move research from the bench to the clinic requires an understanding of science-related law, ethics, and policy.

Wendell Fortson, a postdoc at the Center for Genomics and Society at UNC Chapel HillAs a postdoctoral fellow at the Center for Genomics and Society (CGS) at UNC Chapel Hill: ...Another reason biomedical scientists may be reluctant to work with social science, bioethical, or legal researchers to explore ELSI issues is the perception that these researchers lack an understanding of “the science” -- and indeed it is difficult for a nonscientist to understand complex genetic mechanisms such as DNA replication, repair and recombination, transcription, translation, and gene expression. That's why scientists must engage ELSI questions; otherwise, nonscientists may establish policies that impede the progress of medical research and development. That is why centers like the CEERs are so important -- and why it's so important for people with scientific backgrounds to get involved in ELSI research.

...I am learning about a range of rapidly evolving ELSI issues and how to approach them from an interdisciplinary perspective. The work requires me to employ the knowledge I gained during my scientific training. My postdoc fellowship allows me to attend law school part time in the evenings; I'm even using my fresh legal knowledge in my ELSI research. I cherish the ability to work remotely, away from the lab, at unconventional hours; no more blankets in the corner of the lab waiting for my experiment to come down. And the leadership at CGS encourages postdocs to pursue independent funding and develop new and innovative projects that address ELSI issues related to genomics. I have established excellent relationships with investigators at UNC Chapel Hill and members of other CEERs....